Self help sheet for flu and colds. By Hazel Courteney© Jan 2015.
Extracted from “500 of the Most Important Health Tips You’ll Ever Need” – my best selling health book in which I offer proven remedies, healing foods and ideas to help prevent or heal over 250 conditions. £12-99 Cico Books. A/v from Amazon Books and all good bookshops. To Order a signed copy call 020 7323 2382.
1. PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE
Your first line of defence is your innate immune system. To keep this at an optimum functioning level – make sure that you are getting sufficient sleep. One poor night can lower immune function by as much as 60%. Ongoing negative stress also affects immune function. Learn to relax more.
- Reduce your intake of refined white foods (croissants, burgers, cakes, biscuits, pies etc) and sugar – which affect your body’s ability to fight off invading viruses and bacteria.
- Eat more garlic and onions which are highly anti bacterial and anti viral – or (if you are not sensitive to garlic) take a garlic tablet daily.
- As much as you can stay away from large gatherings, especially those in confined spaces like tube trains, busy shops and so on.
- Wash your hands regularly and use antiseptic wipes on supermarket trolleys, public toilets, your mobile phone etc.
- USE A TISSUE IF YOU SNEEZE AND POLITELY ASK OTHERS TO DO THE SAME. WHEN YOU SNEEZE YOU SPREAD MILLIONS OF GERMS ABOUT TEN FEET AROUND YOU.
- DON’T KISS OR SHAKE HANDS WITH ANYONE WHO HAS COLD OR FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS, AS THIS IS ONE OF THE EASIEST WAYS TO SPREAD THE VIRUS.
2. WHAT YOU CAN TAKE FROM TODAY TO REDUCE THE LIKLIHOOD OF DEVELOPING A COLD OR FLU.
GENERALLY, TO HELP AVOID COLDS AND FLU during THE WINTER MONTHS – I SUGGEST YOU START TAKING THESE REMEDIES FROM EARLY OCTOBER UNTIL THE MIDDLE OF MARCH EVERY WINTER..
- VITAMIN D3… THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT VITAMIN MANUFACTURED IN THE BODY WHEN YOUR SKIN IS EXPOSED TO SUNSHINE. UNFORTUNATELY IN WINTER WE BECOME HIGHLY DEFICIENT IN THIS VITAL NUTRIENT A LACK OF WHICH IS DIRECTLY LINKED TO MORE THAN 17 MAJOR DISEASES INCLUDING CANCERS, DEPRESSION. OSTEOPOROSIS AND CERTAIN HEART PROBLEMS. THERE IS PUBLISHED EVIDENCE FROM THE US NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF HEALTH BY DR LONE SIMONSEN AND DR JOHN CANNELL of A DIRECT LINK BETWEEN LOW BLOOD LEVELS OF VITAMIN D AND INCIDENCE OF INFLUENZA. THEREFORE TAKE VITAMIN D FROM OCTOBER TO MARCH.
**Adults and teenagers who take 1000-2000iu daily tend to suffer less incidence of colds and flu.
**Small children can take 400iu daily and children over 5 need around 600-800 iu daily.
- Take a good quality multi vitamin/ mineral for your age and gender
- Call Ainsworth’s Homeopathic Pharmacy on 020 7935 5330 www.ainsworths.com and order their ‘Anti Cold and Flu with Swine Pneumonia’ remedy. This will help you to build a natural immunity to invading bacteria and viruses. This remedy can be taken early on in the autumn and acts like a natural vaccine.
- Otherwise a similar remedy that can be taken immediately if you have any flu like symptoms is OSCILLOCOCCINUM by Boiron, a homeopathic remedy a/v in all large chemists that contains the remedy Anas Barb which can help reduce the duration and severity of flu like symptoms.
- Take 500mg of vitamin C twice daily with food, all winter long – and more if you fall ill. (see below)
- Take Olive Leaf Extract daily throughout the winter – this extract acts like a natural Anti Biotic and if you become ill, coats the virus and slows replication… A/v from all health shops and larger chemists.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU DEVELOP SYMPTOMS.
I SUGGEST THAT YOU KEEP THESE REMEDIES IN YOUR MEDICINE CABINET FROM NOW ON AND FROM OCTOBER ONWARDS EACH WINTER – SO THAT IF SYMPTOMS ARISE YOU CAN START TAKING THESE REMEDIES IMMEDIATELY.
- If you develop a sore throat, take Homeopathic Aconite 30c IMMEDIATELY upon onset of symptoms…. Take one every 30 mins away from food or drink for THREE doses and then repeat if symptoms persist.
- Up the dosage of Vitamin D3 to 3000iu daily until the flu/ cold passes and continue for one week after that. Then return to 1000iu daily as a maintenance dose.
- Keep The Wellness Formula to hand, contains potent anti viral and anti bacterial nutrients/ herbs such as vitamin C, garlic, bee propolis (anti-bacterial) elderberry extract (proven to reduce cold and flu symptoms) olive leaf (nature’s antibiotic), Men can take up to 2 tablets 3 times daily with food and women usually 3 tablets a day in divided doses… See what suits you. A/v at all good health stores and larger chemists. Very potent at ‘shutting down’ cold symptoms. Otherwise take 1 gram of Golden Seal and Echinacea daily whilst symptoms last and for one week afterwards- many health shops and chemists sell these combination formulas.
- At the onset of flu like symptoms start taking 500mg of vitamin C every hour as it is strongly anti viral. If you are concerned about the vitamin C upsetting your gut in any way then take it in an Ester Formula which should not irritate your gut. Keep taking the C until your bowels become a fraction looser and then stop just below that dose… Then keep taking this amount for about 3 days and then return to a maintenance dose of 2 grams daily in divided doses with food. High doses of vitamin C can greatly help reduce the severity and duraction of a cold and flu.
- Begin taking 10,000 iu of vitamin A daily whilst you are ill and for 2 weeks afterwards as Vitamin A really helps boost immune function and supports the lungs. IF YOU ARE PREGNANT OR PLANNING A PREGNANCY ONLY TAKE 3000 IU DAILY.
- Eat more carrots, pumpkins, papaya, watercress and cabbage – as all green and orange foods are high in carotenes which convert naturally to Vitamin A in the body.
- Suck High Dose Zinc Lozengers – around 40mg a day.
- The herb Astragalus helps to boost white cell count which helps fight viruses and bacteria. Take as directed for one month.
- If your throat is very sore then gargle with a little sea salt in luke warm water or dilute a few drops of pure Tea Tree Oil in luke warm water and gargle 2 or 3 times a day.
- If you are forced to take to your bed, then ventilate your bedroom, to keep air circulating, but stay out of drafts.
- DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS ESPECIALLY WATER AS YOU MAY DEVELOP A FEVER . MAKE A GINGER TEA USING A SMALL PIECE OF FRESH ROOT GINGER, ADD LEMON JUICE AND HALF A TEASPOON OF MANUKA HONEY WHICH IS ANTI VIRAL AND ANTI BACTERIAL. THE LEMON JUICE WILL HELP CLEAR EXCESS MUCOUS OUT OF THE BODY AND THE GINGER HELPS REDUCE FEELINGS OF NAUSEA AND KEEPS YOU WARM.
- Homeopathic Nux Vomica 30c really helps reduce the feelings of nausea. Take as needed away from food or drink.
- Doctors suggest taking Paracetamol to control fever, but homeopathic Belladonna 200c (which is even safe for young children) is very effective in the majority of cases. Take 1 dose every 10 minutes for 3 doses – then wait a few hours and see if fever goes. IF THIS REMEDY DOES NOT BRING DOWN YOUR FEVER WITHIN A COUPLE OF HOURS THEN TAKE THE PARACETAMOL.
- ADD SOME OLBAS OIL OR ANY EUCALPTUS OIL TO A BOWL OF BOILING WATER . PUT A TOWEL OVER YOUR HEAD AND INHALE THE STEAM TO HELP CLEAR YOUR SINUSES AND OPEN UP YOUR LUNGS.
- USE A SINUS RINSE, SUCH AS THE ‘NEIL MED’ SINUS RINSE, A/V FROM ALL GOOD CHEMISTS. IT’S EASY TO USE AND KEEPS THE SINUSES CLEAN.
- YOU MAY NOT FEEL LIKE EATING, BUT IF YOU CAN, EAT SOUPS WHICH ARE EASY TO ABSORB AND DIGEST AND PACKED WITH NUTRIENTS.
- ONCE YOU START TO FEEL BETTER MAKE HOME MADE SOUPS USING FOODS SUCH AS SWEET POTATOES, PUMPKIN, CABBAGE, CARROTS, ONIONS, GARLIC, LEEKS, BARLEY, LENTILS, CHICKEN ETC
- MOST PEOPLE REPORT A HACKING COUGH. TRY RUBBING VICK’S VAPOUR RUB ON THE BASE OF YOUR FEET BEFORE GOING TO BED, PUT SOCKS ON. THIS REALLY HAS HELPED A LOT OF PEOPLE TO REDUCE THE COUGHING.
- ASK AT YOUR LOCAL CHEMIST OR HEALTH SHOP FOR A MANUKA HONEY BASED COUGH MEDICINE.
- IF YOU END UP TAKING ANTI BIOTICS BECAUSE OF ANY SECONDARY CHEST INFECTIONS – THEN YOU WOULD NEED TO TAKE HEALTHY BACTERIA CALLED ACIDOPHILUS/ BIFIDUS DAILY FOR ABOUT 10 DAYS TO HELP REPLENSIH THE GOOD BACTERIA IN YOUR GUT, WHICH HELPS PROTECT YOUR STRUGGLING IMMUNE SYSTEM.
- PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD CHECK WITH THEIR GP BEFORE TAKING LARGE DOSES OF HERBS OR VITAMINS.
**** NB. IF YOU START TO SUFFER SHORTNESS OF BREATH, CHEST PAINS WHEN COUGHING OR BREATHING DEEPLY, OR IF YOUR FEVER DOES NOT ABATE AFTER 48 HOURS, OR IF YOU ARE VOMITTING AND CANNOT KEEP FLUIDS DOWN – THEN YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST SEE A DOCTOR AS A MATTER OF URGENCY.
On the subject of SELF HELP for Colds and FLU, I received these great ideas from Mrs Elma Anderson… Thanks Elma for sharing this to help others
Top grade manuka honey, with lemon and hot water twice a day; Higher Nature’s Citricidal (grapefruit seed extract) for gargling; Allicin capsules (the active ingredient in garlic). (Allicin very effective when my husband had cellulitis last year, as antibiotics were very slow to work). Hope this might help others.
I wish you well for 2015. Hazel Courteney.